Well, another awesome meeting is under our belts! We had a packed house at the August meeting!
JMQG members embraced the August Block of the Month “Wonky Stars” challenge and produced lots of fun and unique wonky stars. The lucky winner of this month’s blocks was Robin!
We also had our very first Mug Rug Swap. As usual, our members’ creative juices were flowing and we had lots of gorgeous mug rugs.
Let’s not forget all of the wonderful projects shown at our show and tell.
Enough of the eye-candy, we covered a lot of ground at this month’s meeting. Below is a summary of events. As always, details of this month’s meetings can be found in our August Meeting Minutes.
- For those who haven’t visited the Modern Quilt Guild website lately, the JaxMQG Group page is up and running. You should be able to access the site without any further issues.
- JMQG membership cards were passed out to members attending the August meeting. Membership pins will be distributed at the October meeting. Future membership cards/pins will be distributed on a quarterly basis.
- JMQG T-shirts will be in September 12th and available for pick-up on September 20th at our Saturday Sew-in and will cost $16.76, with reimbursement going to Yvonne Wecker. If you are unable to pick up your t-shirt on the 20th, please contact Yvonne to make arrangements for pick-up.
- JMQG’s Quilter’s Walk Donation Basket for Quiltfest has been completed and was brought to the meeting for all to see. If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t forget to drop by the Quilter’s Walk table, take a peek at it and buy a ticket. Perhaps you will be the lucky winner of this gorgeous basket!
- For those attending Quiltfest, don’t forget about the ticket discounts!
Seniors Day (60 and over) – $9 (Thursday only)
Military Day (active and retired) – $9 (Friday only)
Mint Magazine coupons – $1 off any day
Show your library card – $1 off any day
Discounts cannot be combined
- Yvonne Wecker showed us the fabrics purchased for the MQG Quiltcon Charity Challenge quilt and gave additional information on the requirements for making the charity quilt. Candi Lennox will be designing the quilt and Yvonne and Candi will be making packets of patterns and fabric for members. As Candi personally purchased fabrics towards the challenge, a suggestion was made that members contribute $5.00 to compensate Candi for her purchase. Several members contributed and for those who have not, you may submit your funds to Yvonne at the next sew-in or meeting.
- Our October Challenge will be “You in a Quilt”. The quilt will be an expression of your quilting style and personality. The quilts will be due at our October meeting.
- Because we are meeting at Quiltfest for September’s meeting, we will not have a BOM in September. October’s Block of the Month will be “Wonky Diamond Log Cabins”. Ruthee gave a handout of October’s BOM. Information and directions will also be posted on our website.
- Fabric Art Shop Field Trip – Robin McCallister gave additional information on a potential guild trip to the Fabric Art Shop in Lake City, Florida on October 12th. She will get additional information on potential classes if there are enough who are interested in attending and provide them to all shortly,
Our next Sew-in Saturday is September 20th from 10:30 am to 4 pm at the South Mandarin Regional Library, Conference Room D. Yvonne and Candi will be distributing the Quiltcon Challenge packages for participating members. Bring your WIPs and UFOs and enjoy a day of fun. We hope to see you there!
September’s meeting will be at Quiltfest on Saturday, September 27th at 9:00 a.m. in front of the ticket box office of the Prime Osborn Convention Center. Don’t forget to wear your JMQG t-shirts!
We’ll see you there!